DermEngine Integration for Best Practice
This page explains how to set-up the DermSync software to sync patient demography from the Best Practice software to DermEngine.
While using this software, patients opened on Best Practice will be transferred to the DermEngine platform. On DermEngine, images and lesions can be added to each patient. After the visit is over, you can also export a PDF report from DermEngine to Best Practice.
In order for DermSync to automatically receive updates and patches, Run from startup needs to be selected after the installation.
- A Windows machine with Best Practice Software installed
- The user needs to have permission to install DermSync
- The database browser password is required to read patient data from the Best Practice database. This password can be set for the first time in Best Practice. From the menu bar at the top, select "Setup", then select "Configuration".
From the left side menu, select "Database". Click on the button "Database browser" to set the password.
Transfer PatientsPatients will be sent to DermEngine when the clinical visit starts.
By default, there is no filtering and all the patients will be sent to DermEngine. Patients can be filtered by appointment type (requires DermSync v2.5 or higher).
- On BP, add a new appointment. Select “Appointment type” from the list.
- On DermSync, click the application icon in Taskbar (by default at the bottom right of the screen).
Select Settings and then Filter by Appointment Types
- Select from the list, appointment types whose patients you would like to transfer to DermEngine.
- Patients who have had this appointment type before will be synced to BP when a new clinical visit starts.
- To filter the export based on the providers to limit the patients sent to DermEngine (by default all patients from all doctors will be transferred):
- Click the application icon in Taskbar (by default the bottom right of the screen)
Select settings and and then Filter by providers
- Select from the list, providers whose patients you would like to transfer to DermEngine:
Import Timeline Reports to Best Practice:
- Create a folder that will be used for patient transfer files, and allow write access for any accounts using Best Practice.
- On the Best Practice Client, set up Results Import. From the menu bar at the top, select "Setup", then select "Configuration". From the left side menu, select "Results import".
Check the box for "Import investigation results on this computer" and add the folder to the "Report file search paths".
- On the Best Practice Server, run the BPLink utility to automatically check for results.
- Set up DermSync. Click on the taskbar icon, then select "Set up results import directory". Select the same path in DermSync.
- On DermEngine web, create a Timeline Report. Press the button to Print Report and export to Best Practice.
DermSync will save the report to the selected folder. When Best Practice imports the report, the file will be deleted automatically.
- The report can be found in the patient's file, under Clinical > Unchecked reports and from the main screen, under View > Incoming Reports.
With the BPLink utility, the folder will be synced every 5 minutes, or there is a button on Incoming Reports to refresh manually.
Best Practice will notify that there are unchecked reports for the patients the next time the patient is open.
- The doctor under the Addressed To column is the logged in doctor on DermEngine. The doctor under the Allocated to is set on BestPractice.
- When a new version of DermSync is available, the message below will pop up.
By simply clicking "Update", DermSync will download the most recent version and restart.
- If you are using DermSync v1.x, please make sure to first close the app by right clicking on the icon in the bottom right corner and selecting "Close".
Here is the list of hosts that DermSync needs access to:
- Open “ODBC Data Sources Administrator” - It should be installed on your machine by default.
- Add the database server using appropriate driver (SQL Server)
- Try testing the data source as below: